AnuSriram
Whenever i make ven pongal at home, it is always a must to make some vadas to make it a satisfying meal. Also, it is one of the best and lovely combo, i can say!

Ven pongal

Ingredients:
  • Rice - 1 cup
  • Moong dal - 3/4 cup
  • Ghee - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
  • Ginger - 1 tbsp, shredded
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Whole black pepper - 1 tbsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
  • Cashews - few
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Salt - as required
How to make it:

Dry roast moong dal slightly. Pressure cook together with rice, turmeric powder and enough water. Heat ghee in a deep bottom pan, add the cashews, curry leaves, ginger, pepper and cumin and fry for a while. ( Use whole black pepper and cumin directly or make a coarse powder before adding ). Add the cooked rice dal mixture and salt and mix well on a low flame. Serve hot with a dollop of ghee on top.

Coconut chutney

Ingredients:
  • Shredded coconut - 3/4 cup
  • Roasted gram /pottu kadalai/ Chutney dal - 4 tbsp
  • Green chillies - 2 or 3
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tsp
  • Red chillies - 1 or 2
  • Tamarind - a little
  • Asafoetida - a pinch
  • Salt - as required
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
How to make it:

Grind coconut, roasted gram, green chillies and tamarind with salt and water into a thick paste. Do the seasoning with the remaining ingredients and pour over the chutney.

Onion vada

I have already posted the recipe for medhu vada here.

Onion vada - To the medhu vada batter, add some finely chopped onions and cilanto leaves and make vadas.
Cabbage vada - To the medhu vada batter, add finely chopped cabbage and make vadas.

I am sending this wonderful combo to "The Combo Event" going on at Foodelicious.
I am also sending my Adai Avial combo for this event.


22 Responses
  1. Priya Says:

    Wat a tempting and delectable spread, feel like finishing the plate...yumm!!


  2. Asha Says:

    I LOVE your combo and that plate you served with makes me drool. Good one.


  3. lovely spread! awesome combo...


  4. Malar Gandhi Says:

    THats an amazing presentation, its been ages eaten like this...wonderful:)


  5. Beautiful, what else will make one happy and contended than this combo platter... Yummy and fulfilling!!!

    http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com


  6. Gita Says:

    Me too Anu...I too need to make vadas and coconut chutney for me and sambar for my hubby :) Your pictures really makes me hungry!


  7. Pari Says:

    Anu I am drooling over the plate I simply love this combo. Thanks for sending it to my event.


  8. Prathibha Says:

    Even I love this combo..venn pongal and vada wid sambar tastes the best...lovely platter and nice entry for d event


  9. Parita Says:

    Perfect for the event! Delicious and satisfying meal!


  10. looks like a plate from restaurant..too good..


  11. Soma Pradhan Says:

    Trully an awesome combo..


  12. delicious platter dear..nice picture


  13. Suparna Says:

    Hey Anu,
    mouth watering combo, looks so bright and well prepared!
    TC


  14. Superb combination its my fav combo too.... looks so mouthwatering....


  15. Vibaas Says:

    my favorite combo too. looks super yum!


  16. Cham Says:

    Excellent combo! My fav order whenever I go to the rest!


  17. Jagruti Says:

    Lovely combo!!!mouthwatering and tempting dishes..;))


  18. Anupama Says:

    Agreed, that is one unbeatable combo! You've tempted me to make pongal and vadai now :-)


  19. OMG the plate looks very tempting with all my favourites.Let me grab them.you can drop by blog and give ur valuable comments.


  20. Valarmathi Says:

    Yummy combo pongal and vada. Love this... looks delicious.


  21. Ramya Says:

    Yummy combo..Its the staple breakfast of tamilnadu


  22. Wow, what a platter, would definitely order this whenever i go to any south indian restaurant.