AnuSriram
This is one of the dish i love to have... Simple and easy to make with just fewer ingredients. I remember, the first time i tasted this dish was at my Grandmother's Place (A village near Kumbakonam)..... Needless to mention, She is an excellent cook! I love all her dishes, and even a simple rasam would taste heavenly when made by her...
Here is the recipe!


Ingredients:
  • Tamarind Pulp - From a big lemon sized ball
  • Rice - 1 cup
  • Dried red chillies - 5 or 6
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tbsp
  • Channa dal - 1 tbsp
  • Asafoetida powder - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Salt - as required
  • Gingelly oil - about 1/4 cup
How to make it:

Heat oil in a pressure pan, add red chillies and mustard seeds and when it splutters, add channa dal and urad dal and fry until light brown. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add the tamarind pulp and cook for a minute. Add raw rice and enough water ( usually, 1:2.5 ratio), salt and curry leaves and cook for 3 whistles. Mix well. Serve hot with fried papads.

I'm sending this to Mahimaa for her event "15-minutes Cooking" and also to Shama for her event "Village Special Recipes"

Labels: edit post
32 Responses
  1. Parita Says:

    i love tangy flavored rice..yummy :)


  2. Pooja Says:

    Looking lovely Anu..


  3. Finla Says:

    Beautiful colour and looks so delicious and love the way you have plated them .


  4. Indian Khana Says:

    I love this too...nice pic


  5. When I see this I can only think of puli saadham served as prasad in the temple... Your grandma has perfected you...


  6. Chutneytales Says:

    Lovely..I like this soo much..we too make this often and we call it puli sundal.yours look perfect!


  7. Vishali Says:

    mmmhh love the puli pongal rice anytime Anu.


  8. Ashwini Says:

    Love tamarind flavoured rice. Nice presentation , very tempting.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Pulisadam looks yummy and tempting..I love it too !!


  10. indosungod Says:

    Great to use the pressure cooker to make the tamarind rice. No standing over the stove trying to get the sauce ready.


  11. Priya Suresh Says:

    Beautiful rice dish...lovely tangy dish Anu!


  12. This looks new to me but very interesting...Looks very tempting..


  13. my mouth is watering Anu....this is an alternative to puliyodharai.bookmarked.. going to try this for sure.


  14. Looking like puliyogare...Lovely rice Anu


  15. Wow,rice looks so yummy yaar. Something similar to puliyodharai-right? You are right.When grandmother makes something ,even a simple pulikozhambhu will tastes so good.


  16. anudivya Says:

    I was drawn to this recipe by its name... Puli pongal! Sounds cute, and I guess this is just another way to call Puliogare/Pulikachal rice etc...
    Whatever be it, I am a big fan of tamarind rice!


  17. Manju Says:

    OMG!! i feel like i just have to make this for lunch today!1 totally awesome!


  18. Vrinda Says:

    Puli pongal looks yummy and easy to make.will try it out.


  19. Anu Says:

    Lovely tangy rice!! Wat a surprise am gonna post a similar recipe today... same pinch (lol)


  20. Unknown Says:

    wow.. nice entry.. looks delicious..nice click..


  21. Cham Says:

    Yeap I ve tasted too, my granny is from that near village too. Looks tasty!



  22. I love tamarind rice. Good one. Yummy.


  23. The rice looks so delicious Anu, nothing can beat the taste of our traditional recipes like these :)


  24. Yasmeen Says:

    I love this tangy rice,make it very often:)


  25. Cynthia Says:

    Just the colour alone is enticing me. Bookmarked!


  26. Unknown Says:

    wow intresting recipe and treditonal too very new to me will try and let you know.


  27. VIDYA VENKY Says:

    this is one of my favorite rice..lovely post....


  28. Kayal Says:

    Lovely colour and your puliyodharai is so appropriate.


  29. Laavanya Says:

    I can't get enough of this... puli pongal looks delicious.. i've made this with both rice and barley - yummy always.


  30. lovely this dish is delicious and looks tempting in the picture itself. you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments


  31. Hi, I want to try this. is the daals cooked before you fry it?
    thanks Ann