AnuSriram
Whenever i make ven pongal at home, it is always a must to make some vadas to make it a satisfying meal. Also, it is one of the best and lovely combo, i can say!

Ven pongal

Ingredients:
  • Rice - 1 cup
  • Moong dal - 3/4 cup
  • Ghee - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
  • Ginger - 1 tbsp, shredded
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Whole black pepper - 1 tbsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
  • Cashews - few
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Salt - as required
How to make it:

Dry roast moong dal slightly. Pressure cook together with rice, turmeric powder and enough water. Heat ghee in a deep bottom pan, add the cashews, curry leaves, ginger, pepper and cumin and fry for a while. ( Use whole black pepper and cumin directly or make a coarse powder before adding ). Add the cooked rice dal mixture and salt and mix well on a low flame. Serve hot with a dollop of ghee on top.

Coconut chutney

Ingredients:
  • Shredded coconut - 3/4 cup
  • Roasted gram /pottu kadalai/ Chutney dal - 4 tbsp
  • Green chillies - 2 or 3
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tsp
  • Red chillies - 1 or 2
  • Tamarind - a little
  • Asafoetida - a pinch
  • Salt - as required
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
How to make it:

Grind coconut, roasted gram, green chillies and tamarind with salt and water into a thick paste. Do the seasoning with the remaining ingredients and pour over the chutney.

Onion vada

I have already posted the recipe for medhu vada here.

Onion vada - To the medhu vada batter, add some finely chopped onions and cilanto leaves and make vadas.
Cabbage vada - To the medhu vada batter, add finely chopped cabbage and make vadas.

I am sending this wonderful combo to "The Combo Event" going on at Foodelicious.
I am also sending my Adai Avial combo for this event.


22 Responses
  1. Priya Suresh Says:

    Wat a tempting and delectable spread, feel like finishing the plate...yumm!!


  2. FH Says:

    I LOVE your combo and that plate you served with makes me drool. Good one.


  3. lovely spread! awesome combo...


  4. Malar Gandhi Says:

    THats an amazing presentation, its been ages eaten like this...wonderful:)


  5. Beautiful, what else will make one happy and contended than this combo platter... Yummy and fulfilling!!!

    http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com


  6. Me too Anu...I too need to make vadas and coconut chutney for me and sambar for my hubby :) Your pictures really makes me hungry!


  7. Pari Vasisht Says:

    Anu I am drooling over the plate I simply love this combo. Thanks for sending it to my event.


  8. Even I love this combo..venn pongal and vada wid sambar tastes the best...lovely platter and nice entry for d event


  9. Parita Says:

    Perfect for the event! Delicious and satisfying meal!


  10. looks like a plate from restaurant..too good..


  11. Soma Pradhan Says:

    Trully an awesome combo..


  12. delicious platter dear..nice picture


  13. Suparna Says:

    Hey Anu,
    mouth watering combo, looks so bright and well prepared!
    TC


  14. Unknown Says:

    Superb combination its my fav combo too.... looks so mouthwatering....


  15. Vibaas Says:

    my favorite combo too. looks super yum!


  16. Cham Says:

    Excellent combo! My fav order whenever I go to the rest!


  17. Hayley Says:

    Lovely combo!!!mouthwatering and tempting dishes..;))


  18. Anupama Says:

    Agreed, that is one unbeatable combo! You've tempted me to make pongal and vadai now :-)


  19. OMG the plate looks very tempting with all my favourites.Let me grab them.you can drop by blog and give ur valuable comments.


  20. Yummy combo pongal and vada. Love this... looks delicious.


  21. Unknown Says:

    Yummy combo..Its the staple breakfast of tamilnadu


  22. Unknown Says:

    Wow, what a platter, would definitely order this whenever i go to any south indian restaurant.